Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I can literally remember when I discovered music at the library...the Fall of 1990. Just getting back on my feet but didn't have transportation of my own so I had to catch the bus to different destinations and something told me to just go to the local library on the South Side (South St. Louis that is) and that is when I discovered the treasure...hundreds of CDs at the library and the cool part you could check them out. The first CDs I checked out: Wind Machine's "Voice in the Wind" (still to this day one of my favorite albums) and Peter White's "Caravan of Love". I took them home and listened to them over and over. I don't know what was the thrill, discovering Wind Machine and Peter White or just knowing I just found a way to discover new or old music.

Fast forward to today, although most of my music comes Amazon, iTunes, eMusic, Iodapromonet, and the Goodwill I still discover gems at our library. Just yesterday I was there and I came across music from Louis Armstrong to Tom Petty. This year has been a year of turning the clock back in regards to how I gather music and how I really, and I do mean REALLY take the time to listen to music. This year is also the year I began listening to more traditional Jazz and looking to my people to help me learn about the music that I have to admit helps meditate, write, and just chillax.

The past two years I was so busy producing podcasting that I really wasn't taking the time to sit back and listen to the music. I was so busy trying to please other and I forget how to just "listen" to music. The artist I found last night at the library were...

Louis Armstrong
Stanley Jordan
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
The Jets
Keith Jarrett
John Cougar
Michael Hedges
Darius Rucker
Jimi Hendrix
The Soundtrack to Sherlock Holmes
Don Byron
Groove Collective
Gary Burton
Super Hits Of The '70s: Have A Nice Day, Vol. 10 & Vol. 18 (Various Artists)
Joe Jackson
Seal

This doesn't include the music I've added to my music library from this past June and music from 2008. The remainder for this year and beyond I will have music to kick back and listen to and by doing this I will cut back on the boob tube and rediscover the art of listening to music again.

I love it.

Don't worry, I won't keep it to myself, you know I have to share great music with the masses.

No comments:

Post a Comment